Cleanings & Prevention
Good oral hygiene habits are crucial for maintaining healthy teeth and gums, and regular dental cleanings and check-ups are vital in achieving and maintaining good oral health. This article will explore the importance of dental cleanings and prevention, what to expect during cleaning and the benefits of regular dental check-ups.
The adept team at Howell Dentistry of Suffolk, VA, proudly serves the local community with premium dental services to help create and establish good oral care habits.
What Are Dental Cleanings and Prevention?
Dental cleanings and prevention are routine check-ups performed by dental professionals to prevent oral health issues such as cavities, gum disease, and tooth decay. During a dental cleaning, a dental hygienist will remove any plaque or tartar buildup on your teeth, which can lead to gum disease and cavities if left untreated. The hygienist will also polish your teeth, remove surface stains, and provide valuable education on proper oral hygiene habits to help you maintain good oral health.
The Importance of Cleanings and Prevention
Regular dental cleanings and prevention are essential for maintaining good oral health. Dental professionals can identify potential oral health issues early on and provide preventive care to help prevent more severe problems from developing. Additionally, regular dental check-ups can help detect and prevent other health issues, such as heart disease and diabetes.
Cavities are one of the most common oral health issues; regular dental cleanings and prevention can help prevent them. Dental hygienists can remove any plaque or tartar buildup on your teeth that can lead to cavities. Additionally, they can provide valuable education on proper oral hygiene habits, such as brushing and flossing, to help prevent cavities from developing.
Preventing Gum Disease
Gum disease is a prevalent oral health issue that can lead to tooth loss if left untreated. Regular dental cleanings and prevention can help prevent gum disease by removing any plaque or tartar buildup that can lead to gum disease. Additionally, dental professionals can provide education on proper oral hygiene habits, such as brushing and flossing, to help prevent gum disease from developing.
What to Expect During a Dental Cleaning
A dental cleaning typically includes the following steps:
- Physical Exam: Before cleaning, the dental hygienist will perform a physical exam of your mouth to check for signs of oral health issues.
- Removing Plaque and Tartar: The dental hygienist will use a unique tool to remove plaque and tartar buildup on your teeth and gum line.
- Cleaning: Once the plaque and tartar have been removed, the dental hygienist will clean your teeth using a high-powered electric brush and special toothpaste.
- Flossing: The dental hygienist will floss your teeth to remove any remaining plaque or toothpaste particles.
- Fluoride Treatment: The dental hygienist may apply a fluoride treatment to help protect your teeth from decay.
- Educating: The dental hygienist will provide valuable education on proper oral hygiene habits, such as brushing and flossing, to help maintain good oral health.
Your Local Quality Dental Care team
Regular dental cleanings and preventive care are crucial for maintaining good oral health. Neglecting to care for your teeth and gums can lead to serious health issues, including gum disease, tooth decay, and even tooth loss. By visiting your dentist regularly, you can identify potential oral health problems early on and prevent them from becoming more serious. During your appointment with the proficient team at Howell Dentistry of Suffolk, VA, you can be sure you receive the proper care and guidance your unique situation deserves.